(Brazil 1843 / 1923)
He was a Brazilian photographer born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Without a doubt the most relevant of the 19th and 20th centuries. His panoramic views, icons that forged the imaginary of an exotic and cosmopolitan Brazil, make him stand out among the world's outstanding landscape photographers. A constant innovator, a pioneer in the application of new technologies, he achieved a rapid mastery of photographic techniques, standing out in the performance of difficult shots, such as his renowned images of ships at sea, mining ventures, or the laying of railroads in the heart of the lush Brazilian jungle.
His work, whose quality received considerable recognition from his contemporaries, is still presented today as one of the main visual documents of Brazil, especially of the city of Rio de Janeiro in the second half of the nineteenth century.
Accustomed to living in the most enlightened circle of the court, Ferrez is soon orphaned. In 1851 he moved to Paris, where he lived with sculptor and engraver Alphée Dubois. Back in Brazil in 1860, Ferrez worked at the Casa Leuzinger, an establishment run by photographer George Leuzinger.
In 1865 Marc Ferrez opened his own photographic studio, offering photographer services and photos of views of Rio de Janeiro. Until 1873, when a fire completely destroyed Marc Ferrez & Cia., the artist took, by commission or spontaneously, portraits and landscapes, photographs of public celebrations related mainly to the royal family, civil and military events, highlighting sea views and photos of Navy ships, for which he obtained the title of Photographer of the Imperial Navy, awarded by Emperor Pedro II (1825 - 1891).
In 1875 he is invited to participate as a photographer in the Geological Commission of the Empire, directed by Charles Frederick Hartt. Along with the expedition he travels to the Northeast, taking pictures of views of the provinces visited (he travels through the current states of Bahia, Pernambuco, Alagoas and part of the Amazon region) and ethnographic portraits of the aborigines. In 1880, he commissioned the Frenchman M. Brandon to make a camera of his own design, capable of taking large panoramic images.
Between 1865 and 1914 it registered the nascent Brazilian industrialization, the change of its cities and the economic development, in a work developed in close collaboration with Emperor Pedro II.
In 1905, Casa Ferrez & Filhos became the exclusive representative of the French company Pathé Frères and became the supplier of most of the city's cinematographers. In 1907, in partnership with Arnaldo Gomes de Souza, it opens the Pathé Cinema. In 1915 she moved to Paris, where she studied color photography until she returned to Rio de Janeiro in the early 1920s, shortly before her death.